Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A Child of God

I have heard it said that children can't be "spiritual." Whatever! I am blessed by Korey. He loves the Lord with all his heart. Most of our conversations somehow come back to Him. On the news this morning was all the ridiculous hoopla over Paris Hilton being released from jail. Korey says, "All this because she's a movie star?" I pointed out to him that she isn't a movie star, she just has a lot of money. Korey says, "That's bragging, I bet God doesn't like that." Very perceptive for only being 7. Right before the Paris story, was the story of Seth Cook, who died Friday. In an interview with Seth, he mentioned that he was excited to get to Heaven. Korey said that he is happy that Seth knew the Lord and is in Heaven with Jesus. He has such insight.

I try to have my quiet time in the mornings before Korey gets up, but most days he comes down while I am praying. Most days he shares my quiet time. We have been reading the book of John. And I think I get more out of it when he is with me. He becomes very engaged. He asks questions, he guesses what will happen next. A couple times he has asked me to skip ahead and read about when Jesus dies and gets resurrected. When we finish reading from John, we move to Judges. This is a book full of stories for little boys. Wars, battles, hand-to-hand fights. Gideon, the littlest of the littlest being raised up. He loves these stories. Then he reminds me, "Mom, don't forget a Psalm." And we finish with reading a Psalm. I read to him, then he reads it to me. It is our quiet time.

I have been under the very self-centered impression under the last few months that when Korey asked me why we didn't go to church that God was talking to me through him. It wasn't until recently that it occurred to me that Korey needed God as much, maybe more, as I did. Over lunch yesterday we heard Brandon Heath's I'm Not Who I Was and we talked about how we are all new in Christ. I asked him if he saw a difference in me, and he said he did. I smile more, I'm not a cranky mom anymore, and I don't cry as much. Again, I had no idea he was so perceptive. He also said to me, that he is happier. He told me he used to be mad. He said he was mad about his parents being divorced. He was mad about our apartment, and not being able to play outside much. He said he just felt mad all the time. And now, he is happy. He told me he feels God with him all the time.

And I know he does. We have started riding our bikes. He calls them our "journeys." When we go on these journeys, he likes to sing. At the top of his voice, peddling through the neighborhood he sings I Can Only Imagine, Open the Eyes of My Heart, B-I-B-L-E, I Am a C-H..., and several other Christian songs, both on the radio and songs he learned at school. I love the way he just belts out his worship, for all to hear.

Ephesians 6:4 tells us, "Fathers do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord." In so many ways my child is training me in the way of the Lord. I only pray that I can show him as much as he shows me.

Thank you, Father, for blessing me with such a loving, spiritual child. Lord, help me to be as carefree with my love for You as he is, both for You and me. Amen.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. How beautiful, Suzzanne! Praise the Lord for our children. Love you.